Through my personal development to date, I already know that I am a proactive individual and therefore planning the next 5 years will allow me to take greater control of my goals, career aspirations and ultimately create a strategy to ensure focus and happiness throughout. Fitzhugh Dodson stated, ‘Without goals, and plans to reach them, you are like a ship that has set sail with no destination.’ (Paracha, 2017). This statement reinforces the need for a strategy outlining intended actions and how they will be achieved in order to reach success.
The benefits of creating a 5-year plan include:
- Allowing me to focus on my priorities
- Change my perspective on elements of my life, which without a plan may have been difficult to achieve
- Motivate me to achieve my goals
- Track each year and understand the reasons why certain parts of the plan may not have worked and amend as needed
- I am more likely to achieve my 5-year plan if it is written down
When designing my 5-year plan I will use Deleuze and Guattari’s rhizome philosophy which has no singular source (The Chicago School of Media Theory, N.D.). This means that my future objectives will consider all aspects of my development, instead of being a linear arboreal structured thinking form that could potentially narrow my prospects. After completing my 5-year plan I will to share it with my partner to ensure our goals are complimentary.
Journey Map 2019 – 2024